Sunny Days in Heaven
Spiritual/Political/Philosophical Blog on the Nature of Truth and Falsehood and Heaven


Thursday, December 15, 2005  

I promise I'll never change

Rod Dreher at The Corner makes these comments:

I predict "Brokeback" will be a box office flop, and we'll see a long, pearls-clutching round of media bashing of Red America for being insecure and idiotic. But really, film critics are insanely insular. I was one for seven or eight years, and they are almost to a man quite liberal. Nothing wrong with that, I suppose, but it's clear to me why so many people distrust film critics, and are mostly right to do so.

You know, it's not only liberal cultural politics that separate most critics from the mass audience, but something harder to pin down. It has to do with experience. Critics live in such a rarefied and aestheticized world, seeing five to 10 movies a week, that they quickly grow bored with the sameness of movies. Without quite realizing it--this happened to me as a conservative--critics become suckers for novelty, especially of the transgressive sort.


I am completely and absolutely immune to the disease of jadedness. I dislike mediocrity and sameness as much as the next fellow, but I love goodness, truth, and beauty more than anything and I don't require that those three things be packaged in novel ways.

Heck, they are so rare anyway that I can hardly bemoan similarity in presentation when there is no embarrassment of riches in that regard.

I also appreciate more than most purity and simplicity and have some contempt for the kind of cleverness which outwits itself, that is, undermines its impact, power, and directness through expository tricks which frustrate more than amuse or delight.

I hate it when

"the most important film critics in North America at the 1998 Toronto Film Festival, roaring their approval of the creepy and misanthropic Todd Solondz's film "Happiness," which featured, among other transgressive delights, a comic set piece showing a suburban dad trying to drug his son's little playmate so he could anally rape him (he succeeded). It was one of the sickest movies I've ever had to sit through, but it received rave reviews--and, unsurprisingly, flopped at the box office."


I do not oppose depiction of evil, the reality of things in the world, but I cannot abide the failure to recognize evil for what it is and does, or gets cute with it.

Truth is novelty enough for me, and I never tire of it.

posted by Mark Butterworth | 2:52 PM |

links
archives