Sunny Days in Heaven
Spiritual/Political/Philosophical Blog on the Nature of Truth and Falsehood and Heaven


Sunday, November 20, 2005  

Curmudgeonistic

I have an opportunity to go to San Francisco for an advance screening of a Disney movie, Glory Road, produced by Jerry Bruckheimer. He'll be at the VIP reception afterward along with the director and a few of the actors.

It's a sports movie about an all black starting lineup of a basketball team that took the NCAA by storm and changed the game in 1966. (They made the game much faster. I remember it.)

I was thinking that I'd like to ask Mr. Bruckheimer, "Sir, you've made a great deal of money and no longer need to work for a living. Why then do you wish to continue to make movies that are, at best, okay? Is that your continuing ambition? Never to make any great movies but always make forgettable, unnecessary ones? Is that what you live for?"

How do you think that would fly? Would it be worth the trip and would I have the nerve to really ask it?

Well, since I am always ready to be the proverbial turd in the punchbowl, I suppose I would ask the question. There's nothing like trying to get a rise out of people, some would say, but I prefer to think of it as being real rather excessively polite.

On the other hand, though, are gadflies really needed? They simply annoy for a second and are swatted away. Everybody hates a smart aleck, and that's what most critical questions sound like -- sour grapes.

posted by Mark Butterworth | 1:28 PM |

links
archives