Sunny Days in Heaven
Spiritual/Political/Philosophical Blog on the Nature of Truth and Falsehood and Heaven


Saturday, September 03, 2005  

Reticence

Amy Welborn suggested that empty rectories could be used to house people for awhile, an idea I appropriated and asked my parish priests about. One said it wasn't such a good idea and asked if I had any room in my house to help out (touche). The other said they could move out to another rectory and use theirs to help a family or two.

Dennis Prager said he was offering to temporarily house a family and encouraged others to do so, but there's a problem with this.

As many people have noticed by now, a large number of the people evacuated from New Orleans are low lifes, thugs, criminals, and scumbags. Raise your hand if that's the kind of people you want to invite into your home.

No takers? Didn't think so.

The problem is that "adopting" a family or person is a scary crap shoot under these circumstances.

Most of the decent people from the region who have beeen made homeless will undoubtedly have personal resources such as family, friends or savings to get them through the next few months.

Of course, the black community could step up to the plate to make an effort to help the poor of the region, but instead we are seeing a first class attempt by many so-called black leaders to scream racism as the reason their constituency is suffering. The long dependence on the welfare state and cries of victimization will not relent even as America opens its wallets and mobilizes services for the unfortunate.

It won't fly very far, though, as America has watched an underclass of people descend into such barbarity overnight so that they are no doubt saying to themselves, "Call me racist all you want, but I'll be damned if I want those people anywhere around me. In fact, I think it's time to make a visit to my local gun store."

Of course, it will be very interesting (scary) to see what becomes of all the drug addicts, gang bangers, and scumbags as they are herded into some sort of shelter or camp for the months to come.

I expect they will simply try to melt away and try to find safe harbor in other cities as homeless criminals, but in those places they may actually get arrested for their crimes whereas in New Orleans we're told, they get away with what they do.

*****

They're going to use cruise ships to house people for up to six months. I hope they'll be able to manage the people there, but I shudder to think of what may happen to those facilities.

posted by Mark Butterworth | 9:36 AM |

links
archives