Sunny Days in Heaven
Spiritual/Political/Philosophical Blog on the Nature of Truth and Falsehood and Heaven


Thursday, May 19, 2005  

Bad music in church is here to stay

So says Yurodivi at Spero News.


One really easy way to stick your hand into the hornet’s nest is to say something like, “We need to get back to real music in the Church and get rid of this folk stuff.”

Let’s face it: Haugen and Haas (among others) are here for the foreseeable future.

But sadly, this music is not going away. And if you don’t believe me, just take a look at the songsheets or "worship aids" at your local Parish: they’re loaded with the treacly tunesmithery that turns noble and ancient texts like the Psalms into wannabe Broadway showstoppers. Why? Because people actually like it.



I keep getting asked to play in my church choir again. I'm a good musician, and it would improve what the choirs are doing, but unless they paid me a fair amount of money, I can't bring myself to having to play the horrible music that I've already played for years, and still have to listen to today.

I realized some time ago that this bad music just won't go away and they won't let anybody in to try something different or better. The people, the pastors, the liturgy committees just don't care. And, sad to say, the majority of the choir members like this bad music, too (or don't mind enough to complain).

Good liturgy is a losing cause.

I have an opportunity to run for election to our parish council, but I vacilate because my church is so dead and so poorly led that I can't imagine helping anything there improve.

posted by Mark Butterworth | 4:25 PM |

links
archives