Sunny Days in Heaven
Spiritual/Political/Philosophical Blog on the Nature of Truth and Falsehood and Heaven


Thursday, April 21, 2005  

Video Star

I finished my stint as a "talking head" in a documentary video entitled - My Skin's on Fire - Living with Psoriasis.

My brother-in-law has a friend in the Bay Area who makes documentaries, and wanted to do one on the problem of having severe psoriasis as he himself has had, and now suffers psoriatic arthritis.

I met Fred, the director/producer, at a dinner party at my brother-in-law's house two years ago. He was talking to my wife about his project and she told him that I had psoriasis, and so he came to me and we started talking about my experience with the disease. He asked if I would be willing to appear in his video.

"Sure," I said. I like to be helpful, but I was kind of hoping it wouldn't be necessary.

About a year later I got a call. They wanted to come up and video me.

"Uh, okay."

Although I am a blogger, I'm not really a seeker after attention for myself. I try to seek some for my books, music, and photos (even then I'm lousy at self-promotion), but I don't like being in the spotlight as myself. Blogging is or was a way to try and have conversations with people on a variety of things, and keep others informed in an entertaining manner, if I can.

Anyway, they came up to Sacto. Pad, my brother-in-law did the photography and lighting. I talked about an hour or more about my life with a chronic and severe disease, and probably revealed more than I'd wanted to, but that's the point isn't it?

All done. I did my part to help out.

But a year later I get another call. They want to come back and do some more shooting. Oh well, in for a penny, in for a pound.

Now, it's done. I hope I never have to be sitting under the lights talking about myself. I could talk about other things (maybe), the things I am passionate about and love, but I am so unphotogenic that I'm sure no one will enjoy watching me for long.

Needless to say, I will probably get 30 seconds of time in the documentary after all that effort.

I once had a news crew come to my house to interview me regarding a battle with the school board. I gave our side of the story. That night about 3 seconds of me appeared holding up a picture of my daughter.

I would like to make a documentary, though, and ask the questions.

posted by Mark Butterworth | 6:09 PM |

links
archives