Sunny Days in Heaven
Spiritual/Political/Philosophical Blog on the Nature of Truth and Falsehood and Heaven


Thursday, February 17, 2005  

No, not an American


LOS ANGELES - Canadian Alanis Morissette (news) is now an American citizen.

Apparently Alanis took an oath of citizenship in which she renounced any loyalty to any other nation, but did it with her fingers crossed like Peter Jennings did. I wish there was a way to make our government revoke their citizenship for violating their oaths.

The 30-year-old singer was among some 4,500 people who took the citizenship oath during a ceremony last week at the Los Angeles Convention Center. Morissette isn't turning her back on Canada — she's maintaining dual citizenship.

"I will never renounce my Canadian citizenship," Morissette said in a statement Wednesday. "I consider myself a Canadian-American.


The oath of allegiance is: (in part)

"I hereby declare, on oath, that I absolutely and entirely renounce and abjure all allegiance and fidelity to any foreign prince, potentate, state, or sovereignty of whom or which I have heretofore been a subject or citizen;


Sorry, Alanis, you are not welcome to my country nor anyone else who maintains a dual citizenship. I will not tolerate divided loyalties and escape clauses. Your very first act as an American was to break your word to her, to violate your sacred oath.

posted by Mark Butterworth | 4:03 PM |

links
archives