Sunny Days in Heaven
Spiritual/Political/Philosophical Blog on the Nature of Truth and Falsehood and Heaven


Friday, September 17, 2004  

Salesmanship

I was watching The Apprentice tonight (The Donald shouldn't have fired Bradley. I thought it was gutsy of him to waive his immunity and stand on his performance. Trump, I guess thought it was recklessly arrogant. I can't see how such a gamble in those circumstances could wreck a company as Trump insisted. I don't think it was even stupid.) anyway, as I've noted before when watching, the entire show and success is based on one's ability to sell, sell, sell.

Salesmanship is what the show is all about, and pretty much what business itself is all about, but tonight I was thinking as I watched al these people express such desire and pride in selling, it occurred to me that the one quality all these people seek to possess in the highest degree is something that is absolutely useless in Heaven.

It seems a bit sad to see people devote so much energy to selling when it has so little to do with the Real. For people to turn a whole mind and being over to a fixation on promotion of some trivial bit of goods, reminds me of Wordsworth's sonnet:

The world is too much with us; late and soon,
Getting and spending, we lay waste our powers:
Little we see in Nature that is ours;
We have given our hearts away, a sordid boon!


Yes, we must make a living somehow and we must get and spend, but -- well, it seems so soulless and bound in a tiny universe.

posted by Mark Butterworth | 1:19 AM |

links
archives