Sunny Days in Heaven
Spiritual/Political/Philosophical Blog on the Nature of Truth and Falsehood and Heaven


Thursday, August 19, 2004  

Grace

In all the meals my wife and I had in restaurants over the course of two weeks, we never once observed a single person (other than ourselves) say grace over their meals.

Granted that we didn't observe every table receive their food while we were there, but there were times when we felt quite self-conscious when we said grace. It was simply a "vibes" thing, but various times we felt we were breaking some sort of unwritten code or atmosphere with "religion".

The worst, though, was at my father's house where it was clear that my dad found our moment of prayer distasteful and grimly tolerated as an overt sign of false piety.

I know that even most church going Catholics never say grace in restaurants or at other people's homes. In the ten or so years I've been a Christian, I can probably count on one hand the number of times I've seen Christians say grace when they are out.

Before conversion, I can't say I was looking hard or sensitive to the action, but I don't remember people saying grace when I was growing up or as an adult when they ate out.

I remember people saying grace in movies that were set in "olden times". I always thought it was a beautiful thing. Sadly, it has vanished from our cultural landscape even for the more devout.

posted by Mark Butterworth | 3:42 PM |

links
archives