Sunny Days in Heaven
Spiritual/Political/Philosophical Blog on the Nature of Truth and Falsehood and Heaven


Monday, July 26, 2004  

Humorless in Sacramento
 
(Beware. Some rough language below. R rated blog although taken from a movie that isPG-13)

A few critics have reported that the movie, Anchorman, is quite funny. I'm not a Will Ferell fan, but good comedies are rare, and I think I like to have a good laugh as much as the next guy.

But then I read that much of the humor is adolescent sex jokes, and I'm just not 15 anymore.

Then I read Jay Nordlinger write:

Did you see Anchorman? It's really, really cool, because there's this really, really dumb guy, who's the weatherman on the news team, and at the end of the movie, when they say what everyone did later, they said this guy was an adviser to the Bush administration, because, as we all know, the Bush people are really, really stupid, and this guy is stupid too, and isn't that really cool, because the stupid guy goes on to advise the Bush administration, and Bush is really stupid, and the people who make Hollywood films are not stupid, and isn't that really, really cool? Really cool? I mean, they burned 'im!

(P.S. Enjoyed the movie very much regardless.)
 
I don't quite know how to enjoy something that goes out of its way to offend me, or if I had been enjoying something like a Linda Ronstadt concert, but at the very end she decides to diss a whole class of people like me -- well, let's say some of the glow has been rubbed off the event.

So I looked up the movie at Screen It!:

PROFANITY
At least 1 "f" word, 1 "s" word, 4 slang terms for sex ("screwing," "do me" and "bag"), 2 slang terms using male genitals ("d*ck"), 5 for breasts ("t*ts" and variations of "boob"), 9 damns, 9 hells, 5 asses, 1 crap, 1 S.O.B. (with another incomplete one), 5 uses of "Oh my God," 3 of "G-damn," 2 of "God" and 1 use of "Jesus."

IMITATIVE BEHAVIOR
Phrases: "Go f*ck yourselves, San Diego," "I'm getting too old for this sh*t," "Let's dance, d*ckweed," "Was the balls," "I look like hell," "Shut the hell up," "By the beard of Zeus," "What in the hell /is diversity/is wrong with you?" "It's bullcrap," "Grab-assing," "Like some school boy bitch," "Grade A baloney," "Let's see if we can make this kitty purr," "Hey, sweet cheeks," "Turd," "She's a real ball-buster," "You're pathetic," "Panda jerk," "Friggin,'" "Shut up," "Bimbo gal-pal," "Chick," "Before I stomp your goofy ass," "Where the hell is he?" "Sweetheart," "Missy," "I nailed it," "You scorpion woman," "You're a real hooker," "You have man boobs," "You have a dirty, whorish mouth," "Jazz flute is for little fairy boys," "Knocked up," "Son of a bee sting," "Jeez," "You dirt bags," "Kick some ass," "Bitches" (men), "Straight up murder your ass," "You're a big fat joke," "You're a smelly pirate hooker," "Go back to your home on whore island," "Ass is grass," "Great Odin's raven," "Poop mouth," "It's so damn hot," "Nut job," "You bitch" and "You're a dirty bitch."
 
If this makes me a bluestocking because I don't care for this kind of humor, or this kind of humor in this abundance (I think I can stand an occasional fart or penis size joke), then I'm definitely a prude.

What astonishes me, though, is how many avowed conservative and religious people take to this kind of stuff.

 

 

posted by Mark Butterworth | 1:36 PM |

links
archives