Sunny Days in Heaven
Spiritual/Political/Philosophical Blog on the Nature of Truth and Falsehood and Heaven


Tuesday, March 02, 2004  

Language

As a Classics student who studied Latin and Greek, I must say I was a bit put off by the fact that the Romans in The Passion spoke with an Italian accent.

Too often I heard the hard "C's" (court) turned into "Ch's" as in church. It was a small point, and inconsequential, but as a former Latin lover, I had hoped to hear the language spoken properly.

I have rarely gotten to hear ancient Latin spoken as the Romans spoke it, and was looking forward to it. Unfortunately, that didn't happen. The Italian actors co-opted it.

Latin, though, is a kind of ultimately masculine language. The movie actors feminized it.

What can I say? It's to bad. A lost opportunity.

posted by Mark Butterworth | 12:59 AM |

links
archives