Sunny Days in Heaven
Spiritual/Political/Philosophical Blog on the Nature of Truth and Falsehood and Heaven


Monday, January 19, 2004  

Todays Quotes:

It is a profitable thing, if one is wise, to seem foolish.

Aeschylus (525 BC - 456 BC)

This echoes the Chinese Toaist saying that "if a man would seek to improve himself, he must be prepared to appear foolish to others."

You can discover what your enemy fears most by observing the means he uses to frighten you.

Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

I need some examples to grasp this, I think. Hoffer's not talking "projection" or the beam in eye; but let's take Hitler. Did Hitler fear the Jews most because he demonized them to induce fear of them in others? That doesn't make sense.

Yet, take the people who protested Nuclear Weapons and tried to exaggerate effects of nuclear war to frighten others. I suppose you could say that they were themselves the most fearful of nuclear war, but that stands to reason, doesn't it? They were afraid of it and tried to make others fearful, too. That's what everyone does.

I used to be afraid of my child going to the river and drowning, and so I tried to frighten her into never going there without an adult.

My Islamic enemies use terror to try and frighten me (and succeed. I'm frightened enough to want to rouse myself from the couch and hunt them down and kill them), yet I don't think they are most afraid of terror against them; so Hoffer's statement only appears to make any sense, unless someone else can point out what I'm missing.

posted by Mark Butterworth | 1:27 PM |

links
archives