Sunny Days in Heaven
Spiritual/Political/Philosophical Blog on the Nature of Truth and Falsehood and Heaven


Wednesday, December 24, 2003  

Today's Quotes:

It is hard enough to remember my opinions, without also remembering my reasons for them!

Friedrich Nietzsche (1844 - 1900)

The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good.

Samuel Johnson (1709 - 1784)

No, this is too adamant, and an overstatement. Particularly in this day and age when common decency is in fact quite common. (At least where I live.)

It is good to be without vices, but it is not good to be without temptations.

Walter Bagehot (1826 - 1877), "Biographical Studies", 1863

What we become depends on what we read after all of the professors have finished with us. The greatest university of all is a collection of books.

Thomas Carlyle (1795 - 1881)

I like this one. My sister claims to be a neo-Marxist (as if that's some sort of improvement on old Marxism?). I don't ever see her reading books beyond what her professors gave her (in foreign studies no less! She wanted to join the Foreign Service.)

posted by Mark Butterworth | 1:45 PM |

links
archives