Sunny Days in Heaven
Spiritual/Political/Philosophical Blog on the Nature of Truth and Falsehood and Heaven


Tuesday, December 02, 2003  

Things I don't get

Some political pinhead in Nevada recently criticized Pres. Bush's pronunciation of the state's name. I kept waiting to hear exactly how a Texan might mangle it. I thought it might be funny since someone made a big case out of it.

But what he said was -- Neh-vah-da rather than -- Neh-vaa-da.

He pronounced it exactly the way I do, and the way I always hear it said here in California.

I did get in slight trouble when I worked in Oregon one year for saying - Or-ri-gahn instead of their preferred -- Or-ri-gin.

I still go back and forth with that. Always forgetting which one I prefer.

Some people, though. Sheesh.

Now, I grew up in Connecticut, and while having lost my New England accent, I still tend to lengthen my A's. I prefer ont to ant. I-ther to Ee-ther. I say Ah-monds and not aa-mens or Ay-mens (which is the Cal. way). But I say To-may-to, for some reason.

Until she died, my mother could say to me - "Mahk, pahk the cah in the yahd." It was hilarious to hear her yell at the dogs, " No bahking! No bahking!"

posted by Mark Butterworth | 6:46 PM |

links
archives