Sunny Days in Heaven
Spiritual/Political/Philosophical Blog on the Nature of Truth and Falsehood and Heaven


Monday, December 01, 2003  

A conversion tale -- Witness for the Defense or Prosectution?

Every conversion story is like Paul's. I've posted mine on a new website, Arrows of Desire, in the hope that some may be edified, inspired, informed, or amazed (not by me, but by the actions of God).

One feature of this story is the description of three meetings where God directly manifested himself. This a fairly rare occurrence, and I thought some may wish to know what such events are like. I am not bragging about my blessings, but rather ashamed that He needed to win me with such overwhelming gestures -- that, in essence, I was so lost that only extraordinary measures could work on such a willfull being.

There is also a certain amount of trust involved on God's part, though. He has to trust that we will not abuse his revelation with crazy designs and interpretations of his will (such as many have from Mohammed to Joseph Smith to David Koresh -- all of whom may have experienced something of God's direct Presence or grace, only to make themselves "final" prophets of truth).

I have not betrayed that trust, although I was initially tempted. It's a heady thing when you see a burning bush, and God speaks to you. It makes you think you're special, and chosen for special tasks. Jesus certainly was, and Paul put his commission to positive work, but I was given no mandate other than to continue to seek to know Truth.

posted by Mark Butterworth | 3:03 AM |

links
archives