Sunny Days in Heaven
Spiritual/Political/Philosophical Blog on the Nature of Truth and Falsehood and Heaven


Tuesday, November 04, 2003  

Prayer Policy

joyfulchristian makes a good point in response to my blog a few posts below on prayer.

He writes: "While I don't fall into the "If we can just accumulate enough prayers, God will change his mind" camp, I do tend to petition God for the same thing repeatedly. In fact, I tend to continue to pray to God for something until the matter has been conclusively resolved one way or the other."

When there was or is something about myself (or someone else) that is ongoing or unresolved, the desire to keep asking for God to do something is very strong. Catholics may be familiar with St. Monica's endless prayers for her son, the fellow who became St. Augustine.

One occasion when I continually beseeched God for help was when I desperately wanted to quit smoking tobacco. The funny thing was, though, that it wasn't until I gave up begging for grace that it came, and I was able to quit quite easily.

So, on the one hand, I don't want to discourage repetitive appeals, but on the other hand, I've seen that it can also take staying attuned to notice the grace when it comes. We can often be so focused on our emotional need and the result we want, that we ignore the divine response in the small, still quality of voice when it comes.

But my recommendation is the same as you find in the Gospel. Pray constantly.

posted by Mark Butterworth | 12:17 AM |

links
archives