Sunny Days in Heaven
Spiritual/Political/Philosophical Blog on the Nature of Truth and Falsehood and Heaven


Thursday, August 01, 2002  

Not Who but How in death

It appears from the coronor's report in Las Vegas that John Entwhistle (sp?) of the Who died with cocaine in his body which may have led to his death of heart failure (or certainly added a strain to his condition at the time).

That makes his death more than sad (certainly not tragic); it makes it pathetic. I can't imagine having to go to God intoxicated - my last earthly act one of despair and seeking synthetic ecstasy.

It reminded me of a friend of mine who died a few years ago while drunk. (I first wrote dead drunk, but that would be redundant in this case, wouldn't it?) I remember a talk we had when he was on the wagon and trying to stay sober. He mentioned how Paul had said no drunkard could enter the kingdom of heaven. He took that to heart and it scared him, but despair eventually got the better of him. He took to drinking again (which severed our acquiantance since he was a mean drunk and no one to be around).

I thought about how strange the transition it must have been to be in a drunken, stuporous sleep and then gradually (or abruptly, I don't know) waking up dead, so to speak, with his last living moments still fresh to him and all the shame he must have known; and perhaps, fear he may have felt.

When I had my heart attack and was close to death, I was very glad that I had no fear of death, no guilty conscience to be ashamed of, and was certain in my faith of God's eternal life and goodness. My objection at the time was with the excruciating pain, and the notion that it was too soon for me to leave my family. But I had no fear of dying, and I think that is a remarkable thing to discover. We don't often get to react to our own deaths and recover from the brink. It can even be said to have been a blessing.

posted by Mark Butterworth | 11:05 AM |

links
archives