Sunny Days in Heaven
Spiritual/Political/Philosophical Blog on the Nature of Truth and Falsehood and Heaven


Tuesday, June 18, 2002  

The Great Brain (Anybody remember the book series? It was nice.)

Anyway, don't mess with me. I've got a bigger and better brain than you. This just in from the UK Independant:

By Lorna Duckworth, Health Correspondent

Musicians have bigger and more sensitive brains than people who do not play instruments, scientists revealed yesterday.

The auditory cortex, which is the part of the brain concerned with hearing, contains 130 per cent more "grey matter" in professional musicians than in non-musicians.


I am not exactly a pro musician, but I have been playing more and composing more than amateurs do for the most part for over 30 years. I have also played with pros and they don't complain about my chops. And not rock and roll, but all kinds of music. I can rock the Bach almost as good as Johann the Man when it comes to throwing down the dots.

The article doesn't say what's so good about having more auditory cortex working for you. Lots of great musicians are idiots in many respects. What exactly are we more sensitive to other than music?

But hey, hooray for me! I got bragging rights.



posted by Mark Butterworth | 2:15 AM |

links
archives