Sunny Days in Heaven
Spiritual/Political/Philosophical Blog on the Nature of Truth and Falsehood and Heaven


Saturday, May 25, 2002  

Show me the money!

Being an interesting guy (Jeppe Kabell of Denmark says so, see here, and we all know he can always be trusted), I am going to talk about the quotidian which will, of course, fascinate my 20 regular readers.

The other day I made bread. It was supposed to be sourdough bread, a concoction I adore; but I do not live in the SF Bay Area where the conditions for sourdough bread are paramount.

Since I am a gourmet cook (everyone says so, and ignores me when I tell them that I only find good recipes and follow them until death. I create very few new and glorious foodstuffs on my own), I bought a package for my bread in which the flour and yeast were all prepackaged. I simply mix the ingredients (for which, as I said above, I get immense credit - being the culinary genius I am), and later it is tasted and my daughter says, "This is really good. It tastes just like bread from the store."

And I beam.

"But it's not really sourdough," I say.

"Tastes like it to me," she says.

"Really? It doesn't seem to have the bite I'm used to."

"No, I can taste it," she says.

"Amazing," I say. "How about that."

End of fascinating story. I told you it was impressive. Somebody inform Lileks that I'm stealing his audience.

Am I the only one or does his Bleat make others want to steal his life and daughter? Oh, how I miss those baby days of my child. Heaven, for me, is parenthood. I love every second of it. I will never find greater happiness than in making and raising a child. If heaven wants me to be a different kind of animal, I will say - not yet. Let me bear and raise 10,000 children and then I might be ready to move on to a different existence.

posted by Mark Butterworth | 4:00 AM |

links
archives