Sunny Days in Heaven
Spiritual/Political/Philosophical Blog on the Nature of Truth and Falsehood and Heaven


Tuesday, May 07, 2002  

Poem for a Sunny Day

I have seen the beauty of a woman:
the softness of her smile and voice, the fall
and tumble of her hair, her tender eyes.
I have watched the sway of her hips, the dance
of her feet, and swell of her breasts as she
proceeds along a path, around a room,
across a strand of sandy beach with child
in hand or babe wrapped in her arms.

I've seen
her pray, prepare and serve a meal, and put
a house in order. She has woven cloth
of finest silk or linen dyeing them
with colors fast and brilliant, warm or cool.

I've contemplated the line of her jaw,
the point of her chin, the arch of her brow,
the flare of her nostrils, smoothness of cheek,
the shape and color of her lips - that I
can only say I am in awe of her;
for she is beautiful and radiant.
I marvel at God who created her
for himself, for herself, and me; who made
the woman I should love, in whom to know
and always find my bliss in her embrace.

Once I saw God, my father, face to face,
and I knew unsurpassing joy. One time
I felt the Spirit strip me of my flesh
and lift me into heaven's love. And once
I watched the son of God anoint me while
I trembled sick with my impurity,
and joyfully humiliated by
his mercy and compassion. I have known
God's kisses and his tenderness that saves;
I've been exalted, yet, I've also seen
the beauty of a woman - that I know,
existing glad, she's glorious of God.

posted by Mark Butterworth | 1:47 AM |

links
archives