Sunny Days in Heaven
Spiritual/Political/Philosophical Blog on the Nature of Truth and Falsehood and Heaven


Saturday, May 11, 2002  

O tempora, O mores

I sadly read at Amy Welborn's blog that she is a divorced/annulled Catholic. I had thought she was otherwise.

Why am I sad, since this is none of my business, really?

Well, she writes, "Jesus' words in the New Testament about divorce and the reality of human frailty, which means, the way I see it, that some marriages are not indeed, "joined by God." They're joined solely by the stubborn, deaf wills of human beings who ignore the voice of God in their consciences and succumb to other pressures, both internal and external, to wed someone they know, in their heart, is not the right person. Annulment is the way the Roman Catholic Church is presently trying to recognize that reality."

What makes me sad is what I would call a false notion of reality and the nature of men and women - the idea that only some men and women are right for each other.

What I believe Jesus knew when he stated that divorce is unequivocally a sin, is that no man or woman is wrong for each other if they have compassion and an honest love of truth; that prayer (the love of God) can make all things right; that remarriage (where children are involved) may be the worst possible thing either partner can do to them.

There came a point in my own life when God informed my conscience that it was more than possible for me to love any woman because my wife was every woman; just as my child is every child to me. Just as I could never divorce my child, I could never divorce my wife. Not for any reason. There is simply no pain or trial too unbearable for such a recourse on my part.

My wife might decide not to bear me or her child, that would not be in my control. My wife might act in a manner that was insupportable and required separation for health and safety on my part, but divorce? No longer a possibility once I understood the truth from Jesus' point of view.

Malachi, speaking for God, states, "I hate divorce." Well, God is a forgiving sort and not a hater, but it is never his will that people hear "the voice of God in their consciences" tell them they have married the wrong person.

I can imagine God trying to inform one that they ought to think through their desires, but once decided, God would seek to heal division - not sever relationship. For who knows better than God what love people are capable of; what insight, what consolations, what blessings and grace he has available to mitigate hardship and frustration. The price may be pain, but better pain now than regret later.

If Amy has said, "I sinned. I couldn't trust God. I was selfish, disordered, and childish. I was irreligious and spiteful," I wouldn't be as saddened. But rather, she claimed that it was the "stubborn, deaf wills" of both which joined rather than separated them.

People get married for the wrong reasons all the time, but my experience is that anything broken can be healed if two people will it for the sake of others. Of course, if one will not, then the other is left alone to struggle through the healing process.

There is no marriage that can't be reconciled. What is not possible for Man, is possible for God. I know. I'm living proof of it.

Furthermore

Louder Fenn kicks in his two cents worth on divorce and annullment here.

posted by Mark Butterworth | 12:52 AM |

links
archives