Sunny Days in Heaven
Spiritual/Political/Philosophical Blog on the Nature of Truth and Falsehood and Heaven


Friday, May 03, 2002  

An Explanation of Something Important about the Future

A man can live without his memories.
What need I to know of sins or of blessings?
I know I am; I know you are. I know
my wife and child, the names of animals
and plants. I can add a sum, measure space,
write a line, and make the paper.

But I
no longer know my former name or life.
Heaven is amnesia. All are content.
I know you are and that I am. I know
the pleasure of music, work, sleep, and food.
I know who my children are; who this woman,
in all her beauty and modesty, is.
All that's good, true, and beautiful - I
retain. I am pure. All is pure. Love is
a kind of gaze; life no longer alien,
anxious, suspect; no one misunderstood.

Heaven is a visit to a foreign land
where you've forgotten what country was yours;
yet, everyone you meet speaks your language,
and is as genuine as you are now.

When I was three years old and it was New Year's day,
I awoke, ate breakfast, talked to my brother,
saw my parents, and played the day away.
Did I see something cruel, hear something harsh
or do something cruel and speak harshly? I
don't know. I can't recall a single thing
about that day. Am I diminished? Less
for it? Not in the least. I am free of pain
or pleasure in that day; and yet it was
a day of life and not a never was.
A day I laughed or cried, or sat alone,
was carried and caressed, or absent of fear.

Most of my life, events and incidents,
are all forgotten. I've no tears for that;
no nostalgia for unremembered times.
I live now. Memory belongs to grace.
What I recall is left to God. Let all
my sins decay into nothingness, and all
my scars dissolve. Let all unhappiness
drift off and sink in lost sands of deep seas.
I still remember how to kiss, to smile,
to praise, and taste all goodness in each moment.
Life is not what we were or will be. Life
is what we are. Without Love, we are nothing
and exist no more than lost memories.

posted by Mark Butterworth | 12:56 AM |

links
archives