Sunny Days in Heaven
Spiritual/Political/Philosophical Blog on the Nature of Truth and Falsehood and Heaven


Friday, May 24, 2002  

Carrying my Cross of Gold

A number of folks have commented on the Pope's attack on celebrities and their bejewled crosses, and on the face of it, it does seem like a petty criticism given the current state of affairs in the RCC in the West.

Yet, as I visited the NYPost to read a column, I saw a sidebar on Catherine Zeta Jones (Douglas?) wearing her cross. I didn't read the gossip column, but it suddenly occurred to me, how would I like it if the Pope had criticized my behavior to the whole world?

Sure, I might try to shrug it off and laugh, play the wise guy and make smartass comments - even claim to feel flattered by his attention over poor little me - but as I lie in bed later with no one to enjoy my witty ripostes - I would hope that I was mortified, truly mortified and chastened that the Pope, of all people, had singled me out and said - repent sinner!

Maybe John Paul's anger at rich celebrities mocking Christ with their extravagant manners won't change the world much, but it just might do those folks he criticized a bit of good and caused them some humiliation that matters.

posted by Mark Butterworth | 2:54 PM |

links
archives