Sunny Days in Heaven
Spiritual/Political/Philosophical Blog on the Nature of Truth and Falsehood and Heaven


Wednesday, April 03, 2002  

The Second of the Newly Discovered Parables of Jesus!

The Parable of the Distant King

A man once lived in a small, remote corner of a great nation, far from the capitol and court. From time to time, tax collectors came into that man's part of the country. They demanded goods from him. They took a portion of his harvest and his livestock. The man always cursed the tax collectors as thieves. They protested that they merely did as the king commanded them.

"What king?" the man demanded to know. "All I ever see are you vultures who do nothing but live well off of my labor. For all I know, there is no king and never has been. What's more, if there is such a king as you say who takes my goods and makes me suffer so much loss, well, I hate that king then. He has never done anything good for me."

One day at the great court, during a banquet, a governor from that state, wishing to amuse the king, told him the story of that man and what he said to his tax collectors. He thought the court would find the peasant's ignorance astonishing.

The king was not amused, though. He said, "What should I do about this fool of a man? If I go in person to say I am his king, might he not say, 'all I see is another man like me who claims to be somebody, but who might be a liar and a rogue after all.' If I go in all my glory with an army and the entire court, might that man not say -'yes, you are a king but you might as well be a thief, for you take by force from one who is poor, and make yourself rich.' "

"Here is what I shall do. Go to this fool of a man and tell him he is right, there is no king, no ruler, and no law above him. Tell him he is free to pay no taxes to me, and may live only to serve himself. Then go to his neighbors and say to them that the other man is now his own law, country, and king. Tell them that that man has no treaty with their king and no law prevents them from taking his goods or his life."

"Let a fool doubt that I live and deny any good that I do for him, and see if he shall prosper in my kingdom."

posted by Mark Butterworth | 12:28 PM |

links
archives