Sunny Days in Heaven
Spiritual/Political/Philosophical Blog on the Nature of Truth and Falsehood and Heaven


Monday, April 01, 2002  

Part Two on A Story

A woman decided to do as her pastor suggested and do some volunteer work at the local hospital. She was rather shy and self-effacing. Her work there was to visit patients, fluff up their pillows, run small errands for them - things like that, but she didn't talk much; simply smiled and bustled quietly about.

One day, a man who was recovering from a heart attack told her how much he appreciated all she was doing and how good she was for doing it.

She was caught off-guard and blurted out, "I'm doing it for Jesus."

He replied sadly, "Oh, I was hoping you were doing it for me."

That's how I feel in many cases with other people who have ulterior motives, but don't make them apparent. A reporter wanting to know what happened or what I think where I gradually realize - this person couldn't care less about this human being in front of him. All he wants is his "story". Or going on a radio show to talk about my book and realizing that they don't really want me on the show - they want someone who's personable, interesting, and entertaining - a show man - a phony. I might be good to know and fun to be with, but that's not the point. That natural person hasn't really got a chance.

Ben Kepple wrote about how reporters respond to criticism: "The one maxim reporters have, when hearing someone is upset with their coverage or otherwise annoyed with them, is: They Knew What They Were Getting Into. And it's true. What's that? You didn't mean what you said? Well, you should have thought of that earlier, no? What? You had no idea you were going to look so bad? "

Yeah, okay there's a devil's bargain for public figures who play for attention and media which gives it. But most people I know who encounter the press encounter someone with an ulterior motive. Most folks think that the person they're relating their tragedy to really feels for them and isn't simply waiting for that good quote to pour out of them. Most people don't think they're a "story". But a whole life and a bigger, rounder complex of being than what gets portrayed.

One reporter who was doing an "undercover" story at an Unemployment Program for professionals I was going through, led me to believe he was in the program because he was out of work; and so I talked to him, offered what advice, insights, and ruminations I could to be helpful to another guy in the same boat as me.

Then I read the story on the front page of a local Lefty Free Weekly. There I was being quoted in all my glory. It was nothing that made me look bad, but it was life, honest life that was stolen from me. I had treated this man with respect, seriousness, and helpfulness. He had been playing Nelly Bly. I felt betrayed.

This is not the only occasion I have seen such an attitude at work in newsmen. Not lying in this same way, but the befriending of people all for a few good quotes and a story with an interesting plot.

When I went to the radio show (a little Catholic station), I didn't expect much but was surprised at how cold-blooded it all seemed (and is). I hadn't quite anticipated that.

Okay, I'm naive, but it's a hard won naivete. It's the work of many years to rid myself of suspicion, doubt, fear, and the prowl for advantage when encountering and interacting with others. So forgive me or sue me or whatever if I approach life and others open handed, plain and simple in manner, and focused on the moment. I will take that sense of prayer and simpleness over Ben's dog eat dog media scramble game of whore and john dancing in the dark.

I don't like people whose only use for other people they encounter is to use them; then rationalizing it by insisting those folks wanted to be used, knew they were being used, so where's the harm? I expect that from the world. I grieve deeply when I hear it from Christians.

posted by Mark Butterworth | 3:31 AM |

links
archives