Sunny Days in Heaven
Spiritual/Political/Philosophical Blog on the Nature of Truth and Falsehood and Heaven


Thursday, April 25, 2002  

Nobody doesn't like Sarah Lee. (Does anyone else recall that jingle?)

When asked if they love music, I've never heard anyone say, "No." Yet, most people I've met do not love music. Not like a true lover of music, a cognoscenti and musician or composer. Most people tend to like a certain kind of music and even relegate that to a status of mere background noise. I know of few people who experience throes of ecstasy at the sound of a low G on Yo Yo Ma's cello.

I know of few people who simply love a single, beautiful tone produced by an instrument or voice; who thrill to the magnificence in the creation of sound.

Remember Dick Clark's Bandstand? "It's got a nice beat you can dance to. I give it an 87." Nobody ever said, "This song fills my body with joy and makes me want to leap, fly, dance on the clouds!" Man, people can be so dull! So darned, dreadfully dimwitted, and dull! Talk about the Dead burying the dead (and not at all grateful).

There is a music which is better than all others. Which is ultimately more satisfying and rich, more contemplative, simple yet complex and pure. This music is rare and people argue over it to the point that I won't even mention the exact kind I mean since no one or few would have the sense to agree on the fundamental principles of it.

Just to give a small example of what I mean - Mozart was a piker. See? Mozart fans are going nuts right this minute. But but but! Yeah, his requiem mass is really very good, but everything else he wrote is light, trite, clever but thin.

I could go on and mention other icons who many think are gods, but I won't.

While Jimmy Tomato and Louder Fenn are waiting for that perfect liturgical moment on Earth, I wonder how many perfect moments for them otherwise go unnoticed because it is beneath their dignity to celebrate some little girl singing a jingle for God off key?

We miss so much by being such carping critics all the time and not simply taking the good as we find it - unexceptional and a little mussed.

posted by Mark Butterworth | 12:33 PM |

links
archives