Sunny Days in Heaven
Spiritual/Political/Philosophical Blog on the Nature of Truth and Falsehood and Heaven


Thursday, April 04, 2002  

And kill them for their Shoes!

On the TV news tonight, NBC (I don't get cable so Fox doesn't happen) did a story about people paying extra yearly in order to get better treatment from doctors. Doctors, instead of having 6,000 patients (I had no idea it was so many) cut down to 600 and people get good and concerned patient care. They can get same day appointments when they're ill, and get to have their problems explained to them instead of given a xerox handout sheet.

What was the network slant? Glad you asked. The rich are getting something ordinary folks don't and that ain't right.

I go to doctors a lot. I have a chronic skin condition and see a doctor usually once a month because of powerful drugs I take along with blood tests. I also had a heart attack last year and so I see a cardiologist for that now.

My care, for the most part is adequate: no red carpet, but I've had some great doctors and good relationships with them but it is HMO care at a UC Davis system.

My treatment for my heart attack was miraculous and first rate at a private hospital. I've been to Crete and seen what small town care looks like there. Believe me, even the poorest person in America gets better care. They (I swear this is true, I saw it myself) don't have enough sheets. When a patient dies, the next one jumps into their still warm bed and used linen. And this is Greece. Not even a true Third World nation. Imagine Russia and shudder.

Now, for that personalized special care that only the rich can afford, do you know what it cost those patients per year? The extravagant sum of $1500. Yep. The kind of thing only millionaires can afford and ain't it shame that middle class folk could never have that.

The 10th commandment is thou shall not covet anything of thy neighbor's; yet NBC wants you to hate your neighbor for the obscene sum of $1500 which is getting him royal treatment for his ills and sicknesses.

posted by Mark Butterworth | 12:14 AM |

links
archives