Sunny Days in Heaven
Spiritual/Political/Philosophical Blog on the Nature of Truth and Falsehood and Heaven


Thursday, September 29, 2005  

Back breaking schools

Yesterday while driving past my neighborhood elementary school just as it was letting out, I saw a boy who was seven or eight with a slight build staggering under the load of his backpack.

The pack was dragging down with its own weight, pulling the boy's shoulders back while the kid leaned forward to balance it all while he walked. A slight push would have knocked him on his butt.

I saw plenty of this when my daughter was in junior high and high school, but seeing little kids having to trudge along like that, and no doubt damaging their posture and growing bodies made me angry. Who are the idiots that allow this?

When I went to grade school I might carry a book or two in my one hand while I walked.

Remember the scenes in the old movies where the boy runs up and offers to carry the girl's books for her? He die squashed under the load today.

It just seems that nobody has any sense anymore.

posted by Mark Butterworth | 1:10 PM |

links
archives